Gov. Asa Hutchinson reported 439 new COVID-19 cases at his press conference today (June 29), bringing the cumulative total number of COVID-19 cases to 20,257.
Since yesterday, there have been seven more patients hospitalized for a total of 300 hospitalizations. Currently, 63 patients are on ventilators which is down three from the weekend.
Hutchinson noted the state has seen a decline in new cases for the past five days with the majority coming from the same counties.
Washington County had the most number of new cases with 92, Pulaski County had 56, Benton County had 48, Sevier County had 31 and Sebastian County had 22. The remaining counties had less than 20 new cases.
The governor also said the five public health regions of Arkansas are still having different trendlines for new cases.
Northwest Arkansas has the most number of new cases, but there has been a decline since June 26. There has also been a decline in the number of new cases in the southwest and northeast region of Arkansas. Southeast Arkansas has been fairly level since June 16 at approximately 25 new cases a day. Central Arkansas has “a little bit of an upward trend, but flat right now” near 50 new cases a day.
In terms of testing, there have been 167,168 COVID-19 tests completed across the state during the month of June.
According to Secretary of Health Dr. Nate Smith, there are 5,926 active cases with 5,227 in the community, 583 in correctional facilities and 116 in nursing homes. So far, 14,066 individuals have recovered from the virus, up 430 from yesterday.
“Our active cases are plateauing out as we have almost as many recovering as we have new cases,” Smith said. “That’s a good sign.”