Hampton School District has broken ground on a new 2,052-panel solar array that will occupy five acres.
Today’s Power Inc. (TPI) of North Little Rock will be developing the 770 kilowatt single-axis tracking array. TPI will own and operate the solar array, and the school district will purchase energy generated by the solar array under a 20-year Solar Power Services Agreement.
In total, the solar array is expected to generate 1,240,00 kilowatt-hours per year. This will account for roughly 90 percent of the school district’s energy needs with Ouachita Electric Cooperative providing the remaining 10 percent of the energy needs.
“This is yet another project in a region where solar power is widely installed that exemplifies Solar’s ability for economic and environmental savings. TPI is excited to partner with HSD to help reduce costs so more of the school’s funds can go to educational purposes” TPI president Michael Henderson said in a statement.
Construction for the project is set to begin in December 2020. Today’s Power expects the solar array to be operational withint the first quarter of 2021.
Hampton is the latest school district to go solar in Arkansas. Earlier in October, the Star City School District broke ground on a 1-megawat single tracking axis array that will produce 75 percent of the district’s energy needs. In addition, the Vilonia School District broke ground on its solar array, developed by Today’s Power Inc., in September.